The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Studley began as a Saxon village around the River Arrow. There is a priest at Studley mentioned in the Doomsday Book. This means that there was probably a wooden Saxon church on the site of the present Norman stone church, which was founded around 1105. A late Anglo-Saxon axe head was found in the churchyard in the 1950s.
From the Middle Ages the village of Studley gradually migrated to its present site around the Icknield Way, now the A435. There is no documentary evidence for why the population shifted. Theories include the Plague or flooding from the River Arrow.
In the 19th Century there was still an inn opposite the church, and a number of scattered cottages, all known as Church End. Now only the church and the manor remain. This has given the church an exceptionally tranquil setting.
The church was restored in 1888 and again in 1935, when the 12th century window in the north wall was discovered.
The current Restoration began in 1990. So far the tower and all roofs have been renewed. The church has been completely rewired and redecorated. During the 1997 redecoration the wall paintings were surveyed. Considerable traces were found of medieval paintings, but were too fragile to leave exposed. The windows remain to be restored. The church is listed as Grade 2*. The building is an unusual mixture of styles, with many architectural puzzles.
Sunday Worship 10am
8am 2nd and 4th Sundays
6.30pm 1st and 3rd Sundays at Four Acres Care home (B80 7HX)
Informal worship 10am on 2nd Sundays and Messy Church at 3.30pm most 3rd Sundays, both at the Parish Centre (B80 7SG)
More information on our website